Saturday, January 23, 2016

Grace Lets Us Create

How boring would this world be if we couldn't create?

Seriously, all the things that I see around the world that I love are a product of creativity. "I'm Turnt" by Lecrae? Created. My mom's beautiful artwork? Created. Your favorite Disney movie that makes you feel like a kid again? Created. 

Creativity is a trait that we can only get from one place (or person); and that person is God. Genesis 1:27 wraps this blog post up in one powerfully worded verse, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." 
So, if God created us, and we are made in his image, doesn't that mean we can create as well?

Shoosh yeah it does!

The fact that we are made in God's image is sign that we can create. When I look around my high school, I see so much God-given creativity that inspires me to create differently and wonderfully pieces of creativity for myself. I see so many talented artists that use that gift beautifully to paint, take photos, and draw. I have a friend that writes her own songs; that's AMAZING. I have a friend that is a sick drummer. Great cheerleaders, gifted writers, wicked good baristas, and amazing athletes. There are a couple of dancers at school that can elegantly entice your attention. Creativity/gifts don't even have to be an art form. My best friend is becoming such a good role model to her peers and is really an excellent example to follow. There are strengths in places you might not even know. 

I don't have a ton of confidence when it comes to my perception of my own creativity. I often view my artwork as something that will never be perfect. I color outside the lines, and it often looks messy. When music starts moving these hips I find myself out of rhythm or I just look plain silly. I look at other photographers and see my photos as inferior. 

But you know what? I don't really like to listen to that voice of negativity. My imperfection is a trademark of originality in my work! It's like slapping a big "Aidan made this" sticker on my work. I'm not perfect, I'll probably never be famous for my work; but, using my God-given gifts to glorify my creator, in gratifying enough. And He is up there, delighted and rejoicing in what I do? 1 in 7.3 Billion and counting, and He is delighted in me? 


Zephaniah 3:17New Living Translation (NLT)

17 For the Lord your God is living among you.
    He is a mighty savior.
He will take delight in you with gladness.
    With his love, he will calm all your fears.[a]
    He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”

He has the same feeling for you, your neighbor, your boss, your bully, your teacher, and everyone else on this world. A God that rejoices and desires intimacy with His creation is amazing and we definitely don't deserve it. The gift of grace inspires creativity, praise, and a eternal promise that is better than anything in this world.
Devotional Pick from 15 Minutes Alone With God for Men by Bob Barnes

This devotion that I will expand on is called "Knowing What You Need to Know"

This one is mostly based on wisdom and discipline; it's not everyone's favorite place to sharpen, but it is no less important than other areas.

Proverbs 1:1-7, I encourage you to read it as it is a good starting point to read about wisdom. Verse 7 sticks out to me because it explains, "Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." We can't start on a journey towards wisdom if we don't trust is God. He provides all the wisdom that you seek. Barnes uses good imagery to explain that we learn a good amount of wisdom in kindergarten. Share, everything, play fair, don't hit people. In today's messed up world we are taught to get high paying jobs so that we can get everything that we desire. What happened to teaching good, moral attitudes? Our right and wrong need to be based on our understanding of scripture and a solid knowledge of God's commands, not this world's twisted morals. What are your decisions based on? How can you start a habit to look to the Bible for guidance? What is the bible verse that describes your life? Mine is Colossians 3:11.

Father God, thank You for giving me the ability to create. Using this ability to glorify You is truly a blessing. I pray that others can recognize these gifts with humility. I pray that we encourage and inspire one another to create and glorify You. I am thankful for You and I love You. We don't deserve the love you give us.

Psalm 139:14
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
God Bless!

Aidan


No comments:

Post a Comment