Saturday, March 12, 2016

It's Been Awhile

     We're all missing someone. Whether it be a friend or friends that you have met at camp or a relative that passed away. When the thought of them crosses your mind you think of all the memories--good and bad--and reminisce. You never really think of your last meeting as a goodbye do you? Camp is over and you say your goodbyes, but you plan on seeing them again, right? I couldn't live without my camp friends. With missed relatives, there are times that you think you'll never see them again, but at the end of your life you will see them again!

     Today I would like to write about the Crucifixion a little bit. Bits and pieces of Luke 23 and 24. Think about this for a second, your one and only chance at salvation is dangling on a cross. All this hope that you put in this man, slowly leaving you on that cross. "45 The light from the sun was gone. And suddenly, the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn down the middle. 46 Then Jesus shouted, “Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands!”[a] And with those words he breathed his last." Luke 23: 45-46 NLT

Imagine the heart-drop of the disciples after that. He is gone "forever" *wink wink* and their hope is lost. How long do you think those three days felt before Jesus ultimately rose again?! Days spent in hiding because of fear of persecution. (John 20:19)

While this is happening, Jesus appears to them! "36 And just as they were telling about it, Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. “Peace be with you,” he said. 37 But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost!" Luke 24: 36-37 NLT

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I would pee my pants if I was there through the Crucifixion and Jesus just popped in on us. After I changed my pants though I would be stoked! I'd probably say "dude, (Yes me being myself I'd probably call Jesus dude) I thought you were dead!". In all honesty, I'd have the same reaction as the disciples, frightened then excited. It's not everyday someone rises from the dead.

-----------------------------------

It's been awhile since the ascension, what do we do until He comes back? There are two instances in which I find very intriguing, one is in Mark 16: 15-16 (15 And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone. 16 Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned.) and the other is in John 21: "15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?[a]
“Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”
“Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.
16 Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”
“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.
17 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.
18 “I tell you the truth, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked; you dressed yourself and went wherever you wanted to go. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others[b] will dress you and take you where you don’t want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to let him know by what kind of death he would glorify God. Then Jesus told him, “Follow me.”" The answer is simple in what Jesus wants us to do: 1. Go and preach the Good News to everyone. and  2. Take care of his sheep. 
We simply have to follow Jesus and share His story! 
Its been awhile, but it's gonna be a party when Jesus comes back.
---------------------------------
Devotion Pick for "15 Minutes Alone with God for Men" By Bob Barnes
"Speak Out!"
Read Romans 1: 1-17
Here are some steps in speaking out and being unashamed of the gospel!
1. We are "set apart for the gospel" (verse 1). Focus on it!
2. The gospel was "promised beforehand through his prophets" (verse 2). This faith is not recent!
3. We are to share the gospel with our whole heart. (verse 9). Get Passionate!
4. We are to share the Good News with everyone! (verses 14-15). This message can make a difference in anyone's life!
5. We are to take a stand for the gospel. (verse 16) 116 UNASHAMED (Lecrae/Andy Mineo reference).
6. We need to see the power of the gospel for salvation (verse 16). Share some personal experiences on how the gospel has affected you!
7. We are to live a righteous life by faith (verse 17) Study that gospel!
"5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:" Philippians 2:5 NIV
God Bless!!!

Aidan

No comments:

Post a Comment