Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Day After

I hope you guys had a good Christmas! I hope it was filled with loving family and everything you thought it would be!

   Christmas is one of my favorite nostalgic events of the year. Every year I reflect on the past ones, the embarrassing moments, the ones that made me want to smile and the ones that weren't so great. I remember this one Christmas where I acted like I got what I really wanted, and then went upstairs and pouted. Mature, right? I pretty sure it was only a couple years ago.

  When it comes to gifts, which of these scenarios sounds better: To get exactly what you wanted, or to be completely surprised? Personally I love to be surprised by what my mom gets me. The feeling just isn't same if I expect to get what I want. It's boring. This year I got socks and I couldn't be happier! They are these argyle long socks in about every color you could imagine because, you know me I love color!

Do you think the Israelites got what they were expecting when Jesus came?

Lets be honest, when they were thinking of their Savior, they wanted a courageous warrior to overthrow the roman empire. I would personally think of a Dwayne-The-Rock-As-Hercules type deal; bashing heads and taking names. But they would truly not get what they were expecting.

So now, picture yourself on a late night, in a little town called Bethlehem. You see a young couple; Joseph and Mary, frantically trying to find a place to bear a child. This child would be known as the Son of God! Honestly if I was Mary I would be totally freaking out right now. She's about to birth the Savior of her people and she can't even find a place to do it. I mean there wasn't even room for them in the inn. I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty bummed if my baby couldn't be born in a Marriott.

But most of you know where this story goes, the very last place they found was a stable full of nasty animals and germs. Not the most sanitary place to give birth to the Son of God. However, this will truly become the most beautiful scene ever.

This leader that the Israelites were expecting;  the overthrower, the hero, their savior came as a vulnerable little baby. As He grew, He did not act in violence nor in angst, but in love. He was a teacher, a father to the fatherless, a friend, a Savior. Did the people who He came to save love him in that aspect? No, because He wasn't what they wanted they hated Him. Like a little kid rejecting socks for Christmas, they wanted what they expected. Instead of a royal throne, they gave Him a throne of a cross, a crown of thorns, hatred. This Savior that came to dwell with the people He came to save threw him away. He was gone.

How demoralizing do you think it was to see your way of hope, your Savior; dead on a cross? I would just curl up in a fetal position forever. All hope was gone.

For three days.....

Then He came back. The hope, the joy, Jesus came back. He met with His followers for one last time and then ascended into heaven. To one day return to take His world back, and to fulfill His promise.

Where is He now?

To His people, He lives inside us. THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE LIVES INSIDE US. His spirit fills our hearts to serve the least of these, to love others, and to serve his purpose. As I sit in this coffee shop on this rainy morning, I smile to the point where I am pretty sure I scared a little kid. It also reminds me that every stupid think I've did He has seen. And I've done some pretty stupid things. But lets get back to the point, you have the person--who can do anything--living inside you. When you feel useless, depressed, broken; remember that. You can do anything through Christ Jesus.

Now it's the day after Christmas; what are you going to do with the power inside you?

Father God, thank You for remind us the gift of Your love. I pray that this love is spread through Me and through my friends who read this. Thank You for the ability to write this and the ability to celebrate the birth of Your Son. 

John 3:16New Living Translation (NLT) 

16 “For this is how God loved the world: He gave[a] his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

God Bless and a Happy New Year!

Aidan



No comments:

Post a Comment